Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What Are the Rules for Having a Second Baby Shower?

,
Baby showers are a great way to celebrate the upcoming arrival of a new life. That much is clearly obvious. For what other reason would women get together and "shower" another woman with gifts (other than of course a bridal shower)? They have been a tradition for many years, and they serve as a very handy event for the new parents - they help in preparing for the new baby.

Is it Appropriate to Have a Second Baby Shower?


Some people will say no, and some will say yes. I say yes, absolutely, positively yes. However, I have some restrictions with my opinion. Here's my take on the whole thing:

Having a child is not cheap. Heck, living is not cheap. Baby showers offer the new parents a head start in the financial strap down that children ultimately will incur. Before anyone gets upset with that last comment, take it for a grain of salt. I have 4 children myself and would never ever trade it for the world. But the fact remains... they break me financially on a daily basis. It is what it is.

When It IS Appropriate to Have a Second Shower


  • If there is a large gap of many years spread between children - the last child born is old enough that there is currently no more baby equipment anywhere in the house.
  • When a mother is having twins. She may or may not have left over baby stuff from her first child, but she most likely doesn't have two of anything.
  • If the baby is of the other gender.


When It Is NOT Appropriate to Have a Second Shower


  • When you're being selfish and only want one because... well you don't have a real reason.
  • When it's going to put unnecessary stress on your friends and family members. If you really want one, host it yourself!
  • When you literally just had a baby and you already have everything you need.


I realize that the above list is not inclusive and could be taken many different ways. There are times when a second shower is in order. I had a baby shower for my first baby, and then I had another baby 15 months after she was born. I did not have a shower for my second daughter. I already had everything I needed. It helped that I had 2 girls back to back. Then I got pregnant a few years later, when my youngest was 3 1/2. I went back and forth between whether or not I should have a second shower because
  •  I was having a boy this time around 
  • I still had some stuff from when the girls were babies that I could use

I ultimately ended up not having a second one, and the reason for it was my own personal reasoning. I just did not want to go anywhere and be social. I had a very rough pregnancy and I did not feel like doing anything ever.

That was it. Plain and simple.
However... I COULD have had a second shower and it would have been completely acceptable.

If you're hemmin and hawwin about whether or not you should have another baby shower for a child other than your first, hopefully this gave you some more things to hem and haw about. In a good way though. In the end, do what is right for you and your child and family. That's all that matters.


Article Source

0 comments to “What Are the Rules for Having a Second Baby Shower?”

Post a Comment

 

All About Babies Copyright 2013 ©